Memory & Cognitive Disorders
Memory & Cognitive Disorders
The Advanced Neuroscience Network has one of 15 state designated memory centers in the state of Florida offering comprehensive evaluations of memory disorders. The Center serves as a diagnostic, treatment and referral center for individuals who are experiencing changes in their memory and/or other cognitive functions due to dementia or other disorders, which may be affecting their daily lives.
Steps to Managing a Memory Disorder
Recognizing a Memory Problem
Some slowing of thought processes and mild memory lapses may come with aging. When it becomes progressively worse and interferes with daily life, such as loss of interest in usual activities, personality changes, and difficulty performing daily tasks, the need for a medical evaluation is indicated.
Conditions that may cause memory or cognitive disorders:
- Adverse medication effects
- Alzheimer’s Disease - most common form of dementia, a general term for memory loss and other cognitive abilities serious enough to interfere with daily life. This disease accounts for 60 to 80 percent of dementia cases.
- Thyroid or Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Parkinson’s disease
- Other neurological diseases
Early diagnosis is essential to determine the cause of memory loss and to begin effective treatment.
A Comprehensive Evaluation With Our Team of Experts
Our multidisciplinary team of professionals consists of experts from various fields of expertise. They work together to assess and treat the cause of each individual’s memory concerns.
Our team members include:
- Registered Nurse
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Other medical personnel (as necessary)
A typical medical evaluation may include:
- Taking a health history and completing a physical examination to rule out treatable conditions
- Performing a neurological evaluation to check the patient’s balance, sensory abilities or reflexes
- Reviewing results from laboratory tests to exclude possible metabolic conditions or vitamin deficiencies
- Using cognitive or neuropsychological tests to evaluate mental functions
- Performing brain scans using MRI or CT Scans
- Obtaining a complete memory history and functional assessment
Treatment Planning and Follow-up care
Our multi-disciplinary team then reviews the findings of the memory loss evaluation and compiles a diagnosis and possible treatment options. Upon completion of the diagnostic process, the team meets with the family and patient to discuss the findings and conclusions.
In order to ensure we provide the best care to our patients, we offer a multitude of services within our memory disorder center.
Our services include:
- Diagnosis and Treatment
- Counseling and Education
- Assistance in Planning for the Future
- Caregiver Support and Education
- Early Stage Support Groups
- Community Resource Referrals
- Access to the Newest Research Studies
- Community Education
- Free Memory Screenings
Working closely with the primary care physician, treatment is commenced and follow-up visits are arranged to evaluate progress and review treatment. Memory loss disorders are an ongoing obstacle, which is why the Advanced Neuroscience Network is committed to giving our patients comprehensive evaluations, lifestyle management tools and support to help them carry out their daily lives.